Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Where Has the Time Gone?

At the moment, I’m having a small email argument with my mother. It’s your typical “how come you never call me” scenario. A scenario made worse because she’s had a birthday since the last time I talked to her. Yes, I know, I know, I’m a horrible son. But in my defense, I did talk to her days before her birthday. And I wrote a post about her birthday on this blog.

The reason I bring this up is because I’ve lost a week somewhere. Seriously. There’s a week missing from my life. I suspect that it’s been stolen. And believe me when I say this: When I find you – the person or persons who robbed me of 7 days in February – you’ll be in big trouble.

Big, mister.

Now my mom is mad at me for not calling even though I’ll swear that I just talked to her a couple weeks ago. A new TAM Cartoon hasn’t been posted since the 14th of February. And my missing February week means that I’ve been cheated out of all sorts of opportunities to learn about Black history. At least 25% of my opportunities. And now I’ll have to wait another year to learn about black people. And that’s not fair to anybody.

Sure, there are things that I can do to remedy this situation. I could call my mom ASAP and apologize for being an inconsiderate son. I could brush up on my black history now. And I could post a new TAM Cartoon.

But the fight with my mom has taken on a life of its own now and I’m more focused on being right than considerate. And who in their right mind studies black history in March?! That’s just weird. It’s like celebrating Easter in November.

And as for the TAM Cartoon…


Fun Fact: The latest TAM Cartoon is up! Imtiredofbeinglazytastic!


Okay...And I’ll probably call my mom soon.


...And Black History Month used to be called “Negro History Week.” It was started by Dr. Carter G. Woodson, the son of former slaves who went on to get his PhD from Harvard. Back in 1915 he established the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History. A year later he founded the publication “The Journal of Negro History.” He then went on to found Negro History Week. He chose to celebrate it in March to honor the births of two men who influenced the course of black history greatly, Fredrick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Some time later, some other people built upon what Dr. Woodson had started. They lengthened Negro History Week to a month and took out the “Negro” part. They also de-“Negro”fied his Association for the Study of Negro Life and History. It’s now known as the Association for the Study of Afro-American Life and History.

However, even though he called people Negroes, Dr. Woodson was one hell of a great American.

There, some Black History for you. In March.

It’s weird right?

No comments: