Friday, June 16, 2006

1000 Words

You know the old adage about a picture being worth a thousand words. I wonder if it still holds true today? Is there some kind of adjustment for the amount of megapixels? And what if your camera can record sound? Is a picture with sound worth more than a thousand words?

Does anyone really care? Does postulating such questions make a person seem “deep” or just desperate to sound philosophical? Or is the question-asker just trying desperately to put some words together to look clever and tell you about his new digital camera?

The answer is the latter.

Yes, Tanya and I bought a new camera. Its immediate purpose is to take pictures of our impending trip across the country. Its not-so-immediate purpose is none of your business.

Here’s a picture of the camera that I took with the camera.

It’s not the top of the line or anything, but I think it will serve its purpose quite admirably. I’ve been playing with it a little bit this morning. It’s easy to use. Its biggest advantage (one you can’t see in the picture) is that it has a good sized viewing screen on the back. It’s also nice and compact. Perfect for misplacing.

It was refurbished so we got it a good price. I records 5 megapixels. It also records (surprisingly good) video with (surprisingly good) sound. There’s a little mic on the front. Not a mic that I would ever record an album with, but it’ll definitely be able to do its job at my family reunion this summer.

Maybe when I get back I’ll make a sound collage of every one of my relatives saying to me, “what do you mean you’re only staying three days?!”


Fun Fact: Yesterday, as I mentioned yesterday, I tooled around the greater LA area doing some location scouting. I was lucky enough to have to go to the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens. I had never been there before. If you haven’t been there, I suggest you go.

It’s gardeny!

Note: This picture was taken with the old camera, thus the slight focus problem. The new camera was one half a day late for my first scouting gig.

No comments: