Friday, January 21, 2005

It’s Alive!

The Cartoon, that is. It’s back. Look! At the top of the page!

I got over my laziness in time to draw the toon yesterday. I didn’t want to, but sometimes we all have to do stuff we don’t want to do, right?

Wrong.

Our parents are always telling us that sometimes we have to do stuff we don’t want to. It’s not true. You don’t have to do anything. Don’t want to pay your rent? Don’t. Don’t feel like going to work today? Don’t. Tell your boss and landlord that I said you didn’t have to.

But you can’t sleep here when you’re unemployed and homeless.

Why do I bring all this up? Well, mainly because I’m filling space. Just watching myself hit the computer keyboard. Allowing myself to be lulled by the rhythmic sound of plastic tapping under my fingers. Maybe I’ll play a song? I’ll type to the rhythm of “Jingle Bells.”

Jingle bells jingle bells.

There. That actually got me through “one horse open sleigh.” Not much fun to read, but great fun to type. And O what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh!

Okay, enough of that. I’m talking about responsibility and accountability. The president’s inauguration was yesterday, so it seems like a good time to discuss it.

I don’t have any unique insight into responsibility and accountability. I think you know what it is to be responsible and accountable. It’s something that the younger generation seems to be struggling with. Granted, every new generation seems to be struggling with it. It’s not new to be young and stupid. But there’s a new breed of young and stupid these days. Made ever more stupid by the simple fact that my generation is raising them. My generation, “generation-X,” “the MTV generation…” We have a lot of different names for my peers and I. But it doesn’t change the fact that people’s reluctance to grow up, tiny attention spans, overwhelming sense of entitlement and the constant search for the next bigger and better thing are handicapping us all.

That’s why I don’t have kids.

But this isn’t my point either. I’m talking about the president. Not a member of my generation.

Whatever. I totally lost interest in this post.

The president sucks. He was inaugurated yesterday. Could someone please post a comment and let me know one good thing the man has done to help this country since he’s been elected? And “led us through 9/11” doesn’t count. He had no choice.


Fun Fact: If you were to take every empty can of Diet Pepsi consumed in this country last year and lay them end to end…people might say that you had too much time on your hands.

Take them to the recycling center! You’d be rich!


And remember, the new TAM Cartoon is up! Pepsilicious!

No comments: