Friday, May 28, 2004

It Happens to the Best of Us

The other day I was linked to from another fabulous web site. It’s called Ihnens.com. I was going to give a run-down on the site’s exclusive content (say it that way and it sounds fishier than it is)…

I say, I was going to.

Then I came across some information that made me pause. Why should I write a plug for the website on Wednesday when the proprietor of that website has a birthday today!?

Happy birthday Heidi!

I understand that it’s a big one for her. I’m not going to say how old she is. It just wouldn’t be gentlemanly. I’m not one for telling tales out of school.

But when I turned 30 it was a big deal for me too.

It’s really not that bad. I mean, I’m going to be 31 at the beginning of August! That seems a lot worse if you ask me. A whole year worse!

I know, a lot of you are saying, “oh, quit bitching! I’m 30something” or “I’m 50something” or “I’m 100something”

Sure, it’s not a big deal for you guys, I mean – you’re old!

But for us young people, it’s a big deal. 30 is a big deal, you can’t be so old that you don’t remember? Come on, I didn’t cry or anything, but it was a milestone – more than a marathon’s worth of milestones!

Here’s the way that I’ve been dealing with it. I just try to put it in perspective. I just think about being 60. 60’s not that old, right? Not anymore. 60’s the new 40, right? That’s what old people say. Hell, when I’m 60, I’ll probably be ready to have my first child. So, in this day and age, what with all the irresponsible teens, for me that would make 60 the new 15. No sweat.

So, 60 – no biggie. But in the time it would take for me to get to 60, I would have to live my entire life over again (give or take a couple months). And while that’s a terrifying thought to say the least, it puts it into perspective.

I just hope that it doesn’t mean that when I’m 45 I’ll be locking myself in the bathroom for 30 minutes at a time.

Yeah, gross to you too.

Anyway, Heidi, I hope this has helped you cope with your birthday, whatever age you happen to be turning today. Just remember:

Age is just a number.

Life begins at 40.

Close cover before striking.


As far as Heidi’s website goes, she produces some really great stuff. With just some papier and some mache, she can make you a Hogwarts castle for your model train. And the windows will even light up!

Or, you can get some custom carvings. Anything you want, she’ll carve it on this thing…it’s like a…well, it’s…you’ll have to check it out. But where else can you get someone to carve a picture of you doing all kinds of weird things? Wrestling with a wizard or eating a thousand hot-dogs or something cool like that!

(And because it's her birthday, I won't be a jerk and make fun of her title bar that says "Ihnen's Model Train Castle Models..." Heidi just wants us to be competely aware that they're only models, not real castles built for model trains or vice-versa.)

Go and visit, her site. She is a supporter of this blog. I need all the supporters I can get just so that I keep drawing the cartoon. If it wasn’t for people like her (and people like you too, the ones who read this crap for some strange and incomprehensible reason) I would have lost all interest long ago! Thanks, people.

Tooo muucch loooovvveee, goooinng tooo bee siick…

Oh, and Heidi, I’ll post a permanent link too.


Fun Fact: I wear a size 10 ½ shoe, but for years I would lie and say I was a size 9. Man it feels good to get that off my chest.

Another thing, the new TAM cartoon is up! ROCK ON! My 26th installment (the archive numbers at the right lie)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!