Monday, July 11, 2005

Bugs, Sunstroke, Dog Crap and William Shakespeare

Opening weekend of “The Shrew Variations” was an unmitigated success. The Los Angeles Times hailed it as a “triumph of the human spirit!” The New York Times called it “a bravura performance from some of the most innovative and humanity-saving actors the earth has ever known!” And the Sheboygan weekly Nickel Saver said… “it was something to do anyway.”

Damn you, Sheboygan Nickel Saver!

Of course those fine publications didn’t actually say those things. But I like to think that if they had known about the show, and if they had bothered to review it, they would have said those things.

But even without attention from the world’s free press, the show went great. We had good audiences and they seemed to enjoy themselves (and they liked the play too).

It’s amazing how many people will come to a play when you don’t charge admission.

Thank you to all of you who came out to see Tanya and me on Saturday and Sunday. We were thrilled to have so many friends there. For those of you who couldn’t make it…don’t talk to me. You’re dead to me. Unless you had some really good excuse for not coming like “there was a death in the family” or “I live 3 or more states away” or “I just didn’t feel like it.”

Otherwise, go suck an egg, jerk.


Fun Fact: I’ve done some research and it turns out that Kentucky and Alabama are actually two separate states! I was shocked. The Capital of Kentucky is Frankfort. The capital of Alabama is Montgomery. Kentucky’s state bird is the Cardinal. Alabama’s state bird is the horse.

Why do I bring this up? Well because lately I’ve been perplexed. See, most of the things that I’ve learned in my life, I’ve gleaned from television. And Kentucky Fried Chicken is trying it’s damndest to confuse my already stretched intellect.

Why, O why, are they using Lynyrd Skynyrd’s immortal anthem, “Sweet Home Alabama” to sell Kentucky Fried Chicken?!

It’s a test from God, isn’t it?

No comments: