Monday, October 04, 2004

Can I Get an “AMEN!?”

It’s a good Monday. It’s nice and cold. Plus all of the political polls are now beginning to swing in my favor. Well, not my favor personally…you get the idea.

The politicking is finally paying off. Jon Kerry hasn’t been running what I’d call an extremely productive campaign. But during the first debate, he finally got to show off the reason why he’s the party’s candidate. All I can say is if Kerry doesn’t win the debate on domestic policy then he’s an idiot.

I heard on the news that Kerry is meeting with African American church leaders now. Politicians are always meeting with black church leaders. They’re trying to rally the support of the African American voters. And since we know that every black person living in the United States goes to church…

And they all go to churches where they sing gospel music, jump around and “testify.”

I feel bad that the only way politicians know to get African American support is to go to churches. It seems somewhat stereotypical to me. I know that it’s not meant that way. I know that churches are important to most African Americans (movies and TV tell me so). But I really feel bad for black atheists.

Where is their lobby?

And most of these church leaders are men. So what about black women atheists? Let’s not pretend like they don’t exist. They’re screwed.

Look, as most of you probably already know, I’m an atheist. I’m not militant or anything. But I am sensitive to other atheists. Especially minority atheists. It seems like minorities and religion are bound together tighter than Paris Hilton and anorexia. It hardly seems fair.

And why do black church leaders get to have so much say? I’m white and It’s pretty clear to both myself and Jim Baker that he’s not speaking for me. He doesn’t even try to anymore. He’s given up on trying to represent an entire skin-color-based ethnic group. And, believe me, we’re all the better for it.

So why do other ethnic groups pigeon hole their own people? All blacks are Christians, except for the converted Muslim ones. All Muslims come from the Middle East, except for those converted black ones. And Hispanics…everyone knows they’re Catholic.

I’ll bet that them’s some lonely streets for a Mexican Buddhist.

So, please, this election year, won’t you all try to remember the African-American Female Atheist? After all, it’s the Christian thing to do.


Fun Fact: It looks like SpaceshipOne won the X-Prize! Good for them!

But it’s a little sad that there were only about 5,000 people on hand to witness it. This is historical. Sure, they did it once before, but there were only about 5,000 people there for that as well.

The first privately owned ship went into space and…”we’ve seen it. It’s been done. I watch the Sci-Fi Channel!”

Hell, there are more people at a Yanni concert! Sad.

Luckily, Yanni wasn’t there. Sure, only 5,000 people came, but I’ll bet that those 5,000 people wanted to stay awake.

Congrats SpaceshipOne team! It just goes to show what you can do with a few brave pilots, a bunch of brilliant engineers, some hard work, a forward-thinking genius billionaire and one annoying cash-hungry British media whore fop.

No comments: