Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Uh...

I have nothing to say today. I had nothing to say yesterday either, but I’ll bet you couldn’t tell, could you?

Okay, maybe you could.

This blog presents a lot of pressure. Blogs in general are stressful. They’re like babies; they require a lot of attention and love and there invariably full of crap. I refuse to do like a lot of other bloggers out there and inflict you all with my poetry. I don’t want to embarrass myself, but mostly it’s because I don’t write poetry.

Although I did write an Ode to a pie.

See, I’m proving my point. Since I can’t write poetry and since I don’t have pictures of my children (don’t have ‘em, thank god), I’ll write a short film review. How special, a blogger reviewing a film. Revolutionary!

Tanya and I went to the FOX screening of I ♥ Huckabees last Friday. This movie has been getting some really mixed reviews. Ebert and Roeper gave it two thumbs down and Jeffrey Lyons called it insipid. Okay, so those reviews weren’t mixed, but some people actually liked the film.

I’m one of those people. I don’t understand. Literally, I thought that it was one of the best movies I’d seen all year. Of course, it’s not for everyone. First of all, there’s really no lucid plot (actually, I take that back, the plot is pretty clear, but it’s bizarre and can be mistaken for pure device). It’s one of those “philosophy” pics. I use that term pretty loosely. I consider Eternal Sunshine… to also be a Philopic (look, a new term!). The granddaddy of all recent philopics being Waking Life (a good film, yeah, that cartoon one with the flying people).

The thing that I think distinguishes I ♥ Huckabees from the others is its style. It’s asinine. It’s supposed to be asinine. It’s a satire. A satire on how philosophy is at once useful and utterly inconsequential.

That’s not to say that the movie doesn’t have heart. It’s just not as drippy as Eternal Sunshine… You have to look for the heart in this film. I like that. It’s the kind of movie that I’d like to make someday. Unfortunately, if I did, I’d be broke.

Mark Wahlberg has one of his best performances yet in Huckabees. I can live without another Jude Law movie, but he was alright. They should have let him use his real accent. He always gets into trouble when he fights dialect.

The rest of the cast were good as well.

It doesn’t deserve to be called insipid. It’s a fine movie.

There, now you know why I don’t write reviews for a living. But honestly, why can’t anyone recognize satire anymore? Have we become so used to “Parody” that we’ve gotten them confused? I blame Ben Stiller and the recent rash of old TV show movies. Damn you Brady Bunch!

Speaking of lost satire, I went to Pirates of Penzance at the Granada Community Theatre.


Fun Fact: I was watching the news at the gym today. According to the closed captions, a woman was arrested for “assault of a deadly weapon.”

She’s just lucky it didn’t fight back.


And the new TAM Cartoon is up!

No comments: