Friday, August 20, 2004

Freyday

Amber Frey Day! I don’t have anything to really say about Amber Frey, I just thought that it would be an interesting title for this post. I’m starting to run out of ideas.

I will say this about Amber Frey. Tanya pointed this out to me. Amber Frey should become the spokesperson for an escalator company, because, according to the news, that’s how she spends all of her time. Don’t believe me? Watch the news and tell me if she’s riding down an escalator.

I know, I know, there’s an escalator leading into the subterranean catacombs that they call a courthouse. Still…

Speaking of courts and law and criminal justice and all that stuff; I was watching the news this morning and it was filled with news of cops either beating people up or killing them.

This woman was killed in Georgia after the police performed a PIT maneuver (Precision Immobilization Technique) on her car. Sure, cops perform the PIT all the time, just watch Real Stories of the Highway Patrol. They nudge the back end of the car to make it spin out.

The problem here was that they did it while the car was going about 80mph (that’s about 128kph for you Aussies).

She flies off the road, hits a tree and dies along with her passenger. Tragic, right? Her father thinks so. He’s mad as hell at the cops. But he refuses to see the video of the incident. We all saw it on the news, and I think that he should too.

I understand that it’s a horrible thing to have your daughter killed. She wasn’t very old. I can appreciate the grief that this man is going through. I don’t know how he feels exactly, but I’m sure that it would be a biblical understatement to say that he’s “bummed.”

But here’s why I think that he should watch the videotape of the incident. Because then he would see his little girl leading the cops on a pursuit that exceeded 100mph (160kph, damn you Aussies)! He would see her weaving all over the highway. He would see her driving in the median and on the shoulder. He would see her almost hit a crap load of cars and even one highway worker who came about 10 inches (25.4 centimeters...babies) from being the gruesome responsibility of some other road workers.

She ran like hell. And when they tried to stop her, she was killed. They way I see it, the cops shouldn’t have done what they did, but the real victim here is her passenger.

I don’t get it. I don’t understand why we should be held responsible for these idiots. You know now there are going to be more laws passed. It’s the stupid people that cause all these laws. Tags on pillows, warning labels on cigarettes etc…

Okay, that last one is probably not the best argument, but what idiot actually thought that breathing smoke would be alright?! I’m a smoker; I know it’s not alright. The wet hacking cough tells me so.

But it’s like this guy here in LA. He stole a car, lead police on a deadly pursuit, then ditched the car a fled on foot. The cops finally caught up with him and kicked him a couple times.

Look, the guy’s an asshole, he should’ve been kicked. They didn’t go all Rodney King on him or anything. They just kicked him a couple times. Oh, and hit him with their batons. But even on the video you can see that he’s resisting.

I don’t want to go into a big thing about it right now. I have things to do. I’m going on an adventure! There’s a telephone pole outside my place with my name all over it!

Hey if they didn’t want people to climb to the top of it and steal the huge transformer, they should have put a fence around it!

I’m only human, which means that I’m not at all responsible for my idiotic decisions. Someone out there has to know better, is it my fault that they didn’t warn me?


Fun Fact: Yesterday in my post about my super-cool new old typewriter, I told you about the fact that it doesn’t have an exclamation point. I’ve since discovered why. It doesn’t have a “1” key either (that's a 35 for you Aussies). And since the “1” (35) and the exclamation point (question mark) are inexplicably linked for all eternity (two weeks)…

It just goes “backspace”, 2, 3, 4…

We may live in a world full of idiots, but at least we now have “1”s on our keyboards (dingoes).

I’m guessing that in 1956 there was a backlash against the extreme patriotism of WWII. Therefore, including a “1” on American typewriters would seem arrogant? Or maybe they just couldn’t be bothered with such a low number (there’s a zero, but that’s not a number)? Or maybe they were just trying to save space on the keyboard by making us use the “I” key in its place?

Either way, you know what 1956?

We’re #1! (35!)


Oh, and the latest TAM Cartoon is up! Bitchin’!

No comments: